Celebrating changes in Optometry
2017 Marks World Council of Optometry (WCO) 90 Year Anniversary.
Honoured to be a founding partner of Optometry Giving Sight and represented on its global executive board, the World Council of Optometry (WCO) collectively represents over 200,000 optometrists in almost 60 countries through over 200 affiliate, associate, corporate and individual memberships across six world regions: Africa, Asia Pacific, Eastern Mediterranean, Europe, Latin America and North America.
Celebrating its 90-year anniversary in 2017, the WCO’s vision is of a world where optometry makes high quality eye health and vision care accessible to all people. Its mission is to promote eye health and vision care as a human right. This is achieved through advocacy, education, policy development and humanitarian outreach and is intended to facilitate the development of optometry and optometrists around the world. Recent and ongoing WCO activities include:
- Collaborating with strategic partners including Optometry Giving Sight to advance the provision of eye and vision care worldwide. Working together, we have seen the launch of Our Children’s Vision (OCV), a worldwide initiative whose initial target is to provide eye care services to 50 million children by 2020.
- Coordinating support by WCO members in response to various regulatory issues in Brazil, Colombia, France, India, Italy, Lebanon, Malawi, Mexico and others.
- Continuing advocacy workshops in Africa, the Eastern Mediterranean region and India.
- Developing optometry practitioner mapping to determine manpower and education needs.
- Preparing to hold the 2nd World Congress of Optometry in September 2017 in Hyderabad, India, and hosting the second President’s Forum to enable wider engagement with the profession.
As the WCO celebrates 90 years of excellence in optometry, we invite you to join us as we continue to help shape the future of optometry around the world. For more information, please visit www.worldcouncilofoptometry.info.